The last month or two I've noticed an odd phenomenon... a million lemonade stands.


Ok. Maybe not a million, but definitely an abundance.

My brother and I work together at an office in the burbs. We leave for lunch together and drive through the suburb out into the city where food can be found. Almost daily we drive by adorable little children who are holding posters, with large marker print that says "lemonade 50 cents." Some have even upgraded to cans of soda.

I've even seen a few expertly crafted little wooden stands. The one across the street from my office has a little roof for shade and a wooden sign with 'Lemonade' painted in pink.

My brother and I were discussing them when I think I finally figured out what's happening.

The economy. It's even affecting the kids.

Parents probably have less money to give them, and the entrepreneurial ones are finding ways to earn it.

I've been lucky not to really feel the pinch of the economy (other than the notion to save now more than ever), but I know of many who have lost their jobs and many who are afraid they'll be next. I even entertain the fear myself from time to time.

At least I have hope that if something does happen there are ways to push forward. The kids are showing us that. All it takes is a little spirit and the guts to put yourself out there. Hopefully it just doesn't involve too many people saying "When life gives you lemons..."

I'm not sure I could handle that.